> Enter text here. > Enter text here.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

True Story

Let's jump right in:

In Ancient Greece, there were no lawyers. So if you wanted to sue someone, you had to present your case yourself after taking a class on "how to argue". A student decides to enroll in such a class, even though there is no one he wants to sue, even though he is not being sued, and even though he has no money to pay the instructor. The student approaches the instructor with this offer: "I will pay you your fee when I win my first case." The instructor accepts the offer, and proceeds to provide the student with the necessary information so that he may learn how to argue.

The lessons come to a close. The instructor teaches the student all he needs to know about arguing and sends him on his way with a friendly reminder of his promise to him: "Remember, our deal was that you will pay for my services when you win your first case."

Several months go by. The student has yet reimburse the instructor, not because he has lost every case, but simply because he has not had one yet. He has not taken or been taken to court. The instructor, growing impatient and suspicious, confronts the student. "It has been months and you have yet to pay me. I need your fees right now. If you refuse to pay me, I will take you to court, and regardless of the court's ruling, you will be required to pay me."

"What's your reasoning?" asks the student.

"Well," replies the instructor, "if I take you to court and the court orders that you pay me, then by law you are required to do so. But if the court does not order that you pay me, then that means you have won the case, and based on our agreement, you have to pay me."

The student laughs. "On the contrary," he says. "If you take me to court and the court orders that I don't have to pay you, then I am free from any obligation. But if the court does order me to pay you, then you have won the case and I have lost it, and since I have lost and not won, per our agreement, I am not required to pay you."

I realize that this conflict is easily resolved, but I love paradoxes. And you should, too.


1 comment:

alm said...

I do love paradoxes.