> Enter text here. > Enter text here.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Murder in my neighborhood?

Now I have told one of you about the news from a few streets over. Just incase you don't get local news- THIS-is all anyone can talk about. In the news, it sounds like a guy killed his wife and hid the remains in the garbage, using bleach to clean up, and also reported his wife missing to make himself look innocent.
Here is my question, is this media bias towards sensationalism? Probably. Should friends and neighbors assume the wife is dead because she is missing, and remains ( thought not publicly proven to be hers have been found) Does suspicious evidence like bleach bottles mean that he used it to destroy evidence. As of last night, the man in question was not held on murder charges, but harming official business and the like. So should we read into what the news says and form our own opinion, or should we try to wait and see what the evidence shows. I keep thinking in my head, innocent till proven guilty. However I may try I am finding it very hard to hope this is not the way it looks. I keep hoping the wife will turn up, and everything will be fine. that area has one large cemetery near by and a smaller one. Who knows what may or may not have happened.
As if trying to hope of a good out come and believing the best in people is not enough, there is the chilling fact that this is just a few streets over, for those that know, on the other side of the park from me. My grandpa is buried in the cemetery down the street, I drive the street in question and pass that house at least once a week. Violence is common in our world. Murder rates are high in cities. And while i did not know these people personally, it is forcing me to realize just how much we can never know or guess about others and the human condition.

2 comments:

alm said...

I hate the news. It's their job to get ratings, and that means being dramatic. It gets in the way of all that "due process" and "innocent until proven guilty" and "jury of your peers" thing that our criminal justice system claims to like so much.

Also, people need to get over this whole "I never thought it could happen here" bullshit. Where did you think it could happen? Harlem? Is it okay when it happens there, because it's far away and expected? Get a grip, people. There are crazy people everywhere. There are people capable of horrendous actions everywhere. Yeah, it's scary when it happens in your backyard, but it always happens in someone's backyard. They say teenagers think "it'll never happen to me" but that's not teenagers, that's human beings.

/rant. That wasn't meant to be aimed at anybody. Well, I guess it was aimed at everybody.

Ashley G said...

It's true; we're all guilty of believe it won't happen to us until it literally does. This may inherently be a problem, but perhaps not entirely so. I don't think I'm being dramatic when I say many of us have tendencies to see the more pragmatic and "pessimistic" side of things rather than simply being hopeful, but I feel as a species this is probably not the over all consensus. Without a degree of hope for ourselves and our well being, there would be no sense to continue based on logic. We would not be adding to the self and we would simply be taking space from the species and/or, more specifically, our kin - a big faux pas in the animal kingdom. A degree of "hope" - in the sense that it applies to thoughts and consideration of a future existing at all - is probably a very basic biological craving that perpetuates our species.