> Enter text here. > Enter text here.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Obama: Losing the Vote

Hi everyone. I think everyone here can understand my own desire to some extent to have the Obama who campaigned for the primary as our president. On June 30, Obama lost my vote for the presidential election, and I'm writing about it in a public form because I want public feedback - I want to want to vote for Obama, but at this point, I'm disillusioned. Obama lied, and when a candidate campaigns on how un-politician-like he is, and then demonstrates that he is willing to lie to the constituency, well, that's pretty politician-like for me. First I'll put in some background for those who don't know.

FISA 2008 is the 2008 revision of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978. It officiates the rules governing how the United States government is allowed to spy on foreign nationals. It makes it very clear that court oversight is necessary for the usage of domestically-located lines of communication - wiretapping mostly but you'll see in a moment that it also applies to the Internet's medium of communication. The court oversight stipulations are not limiting to the ability of the government to obtain timely information for most scenarios that I can think of.

Beside all of this is my own opinion that the Constitution is a statement about humanity, not just citizens of the United States, but I understand that consistency is critical to rule of law - which we'll hit a bit of a fault in just a minute with. FISA 2008 was introduced in 2007 under the advisement of President Bush.

President Bush violated the Fourth Amendment of the Bill of Rights when he ordered certain telecommunications companies to attach black boxes to their internet routers without a warrant. Those companies broke the law by complying.

FISA 2008 was eventually revised to include a section granting a brief court review to the telecoms - cursory in nature and ostensibly an immunity clause. On December 27th, senator Obama said that he would filibuster any revised FISA that included an immunity clause.

On June 30, the results of the FISA 2008 vote came out, and it turns out that Obama voted to pass it.

Aaaaaand....
Tell me I'm wrong. Please, someone tell me why!

1 comment:

rubenssw said...

He's also becoming extremely wishy-washy in terms of his promise to have troops out of Iraq in 16 months.

I think someone must have pulled him aside and whispered, "Psst! That's impossible!"