> Enter text here. > Enter text here.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

I kind of really like my job?

Which is a really weird thing to say. I guess this is what meaningful employment feels like. I know that I am lucky, and I am trying to be more appreciative of what I have. I'm pretty openly selfish, which I don't consider to be a wholly bad or unusual thing, but I at least want to balance it out.

In the class I am an aide for, every continent is represented except Australia. We have students from Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Costa Rica, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Romania, Sweden, Italy, Turkey, and Iran. I tutor 3 Koreans, 3 Japanese, 1 Chinese, 1 Venezuelan, 1 Turkish, 1 Sudanese, and 1 Vietnamese. My highest level is a medical doctor in his home country here to take master's level classes. My lowest level is a refugee who is illiterate in her native language, can have a conversation in English, but whose only writing consists of putting letters together to make the simplest of words. They're all pretty amazing people, I think. There are more, of course; those are just the people I am in contact with on a weekly basis. It makes me feel privileged to know English.

Also, meaningful employment, in my case, means I get paid not a wage or salary but a "living allowance." It's basically a stipend, meant to be enough for me to survive. And that's all it is. Rather, it should be more than enough for me to survive, but I am still adjusting to the notion that I cannot simply purchase anything I want any moment that I want it. I am starting to notice a few of the absurd American privileges I usually take for granted. It's too early to tell, but I think this is going to be really good for me.

2 comments:

wingsofadove said...

um it says you posted this on saturday the 25
hello amanda from the future! how is it there? will there be snow?

alm said...

I fixed it. Funny story: I started writing this post several days ago. When I posted it today, it posted it under a date from several days ago. So I changed the post date so it would be today. Except that I have no concept of time, and on my calendar 23 looked like 25.